What Happened to all the Meat?!

Finding a common ground with each other can sometimes be extremely difficult, especially if both you and your partner are set in your ways and comfortable with living a certain type of way. It is important to try and understand each other's needs because it is imperative to keeping one another happy and appreciated. I have always loved meat, even when I was a little toddler sitting in a high chair eating bologna sandwiches every chance I could get. Meat has always been a part of my diet growing up and I learned to make it a part of my lifestyle. It wasn't until I moved to California almost a year ago that I found myself being absolutely repulsed and turned off to the sight of meat, the taste of meat, even the smell of meat. To this day, I am clueless as to why my body has developed such an aversion to all meat but I cannot eat it. When I first realized this a few months ago, my husband was very supportive and understanding of my dislike to meat but unlike me, Ricky THRIVES off of meat. Just like most men, they require it for almost every meal because they have such a deep love for it. Our dinners started to get very bland and boring, meat was completely out of the picture and the vegetables and rice were kicked into overdrive. As much as I was loving it, it just wasn't enough for Ricky. Without the meat addition, he wasn't feeling satisfied. What I quickly began to notice was the amount of weight I was losing as a side effect to my meat aversion. I didn't like that that was happening to me and I started to feel hungrier more often and the lack of protein that I was getting wasn't enough for my body's nutritional needs. I then began to realize that it was starting to become a real problem. Not just because of the weight I was losing, but I found myself trying to ban meat completely for both of us and that just wasn't fair. I couldn't let my disgust for meat control Ricky and his desire for meat. I started doing extensive research on how to incorporate both of our needs into a meal that both of us could enjoy and feel satisfied from while Ricky could still get his meat fix. I wrote down a few meal ideas for you to try if you can relate to this entry. Since we have added these to our home, we both are much happier with our eating choices and we no longer argue over our difference of tastes. When you can combine healthy and hearty into a meal, then you have become a cooking genius and a stellar wife/girlfriend. Give it a try and meet halfway! Stay happy and beautiful! 

Ali's Meal Ideas: (I am also going to attach a link to the recipes for Eggplant Parmesan and the Vegetable Stir Fry.) 

1) Eggplant. It can be a really delicious meal when cooked properly. Try making Eggplant Parmesan! (Baked and breaded Eggplant smothered in cheese and marinara sauce). There are many easy recipes you can find online. Both Ricky and I really enjoy this dish! The eggplant is a great substitute for that meat craving! 
Eggplant Parmesan Recipe

2) Lots of avocados! It can also help fill that meat void while giving you plenty of protein that your body needs. A dinner that Ricky and I have a lot during the week is a big bowl of white or brown steamed rice with avocado and bananas. It is a really simple and cheap dinner that is healthy and satisfying! 

3) Beans and rice is also a great meal that is easy on the budget and it is packed with protein and healthy carbs! Lentils is also a delicious addition to the rice but it has an acquired taste and it isn't for everyone. 

4) Vegetable Tofu Stir-Fry is another great meal idea because who doesn't love a good stir-fry?! You can add as many vegetables as you want along with your rice. If you season and grill the tofu, it can turn anyone into a tofu fan! 
Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe

I hope you enjoy these meals if you decide to give it a try! Happy eating! :)


                             Now eating together is a lot of fun! 

Comments

  1. Do you have the same aversion to eggs as you do meat? They are the meatiest part of my diet. Peanut butter and nuts are good vegetarian proteins, as well as quinoa and complex grains like buckwheat and wheat berries. Broccoli and brussel sprouts are two veggies packed with protein. Take it from an 8 year vegitarian. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts